Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Don't You Forget About Me

Just 3 short hours ago I was in my first day of being a 20 year old.
And I tell you what, it's pretty scary.
I can't just use the excuse that I'm a silly teenager and I can make those stupid mistakes.
I'm 20. I can't do that.
For the last 7 years of my life... I've had the word "teen" after my age.
Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, and now Twenty.
There's no "teen" after twenty. That scares me more than I'd like to admit.
Today, as I was hanging out with some of my peeps I was discussing how extremely weird it was for me to be this age.
Nicole was freaking out about the fast that she was still 19 and I mean I can't blame her. It's too too weird those last few days before the big day, knowing your childhood is ending for good.
As she was expressing these feelings I looked at her and said "you know, 20 is a good age. It's totally different when you're 20," like I would know right? "You instantly become 100% wiser and know so much more." Of course Taylor jumps in and says "You find out the mysteries of life when you turn 20. It answers so many things. You get a bullet point email or maybe text. And I shouldn't be telling you this. I'm risking my life for you."
All I have to say about this is that I wish someone would have sent me a bullet point list of what was to come this year. I'm terrified.
But now that I'm a seasoned 20 year old (as I've been this age for 27 hours), what I'm most scared of is leaving my best people - even if it is just for 2 months.
I leave for England in just 4 short days and I'm nowhere near as ready as I should be.
I still don't even know which suitcase I'm going to use (which kind of isn't true, but still kind of is).
I'm scared of flying over the ocean.
I'm scared that peeps are going to forget that I'm not around and party it up without me.
I'm scared that these same peeps will just forget about me all together.
And as I'm writing this, "The Breakfast Club" is on and the best song is playing at this moment.
It's entitled "Don't You (Forget About Me)".
And while this song is most likely about two lovers forgetting the other existed after a sad break-up or something, I feel that the title applies.
Don't You Forget About Me, you guys. And I won't forget about you.
Get in your goodbyes now.
I only have a few days left!
That's even weirder (more weird?) than being 20.

xoxo
Sam

P.S. Here's that song. Take a listen. You'll love it.
Plus the video rocks... and every time I watch it... I mistake the singer for Mike Meyers. And then I think he looks more like the guy in "The Father of the Bride". You know... the wedding planner? His name is Martin Short. Look him up. But then... I look at him some more and he really looks nothing like these men. So... whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment